Archive for December, 2017
Yorkie Puppies for Sale: This is your breed for lots of cuddles and affection!
Are you looking for Yorkie puppies for sale in Lewis Center Columbus, Ohio? The Yorkshire Terrier is one of the most popular small breed dogs in the country and for good reason! The Yorkie is loyal, affectionate and makes for a superb lap warmer. But this popular breed might not be right for everyone. Read ahead to make sure that a Yorkie fits your personality and lifestyle. Petland Lewis Center always has Yorkies for sale, check out their cute little faces on our available puppies page!
Here are a few things that you might not know about the Yorkshire Terrier breed:
- Yorkies are small, but full of spunk! They can have a lot of energy and are up for pretty much any activity. If you are the type who likes a lazier breed, the Yorkie might not be for you.
- Yorkies are not just for show, they make great companions. They love attention and they crave for their owners to lavish attention on them. Better be ready to take them for a walk, talk to them or just to be with them when lounging out!
- Yorkies are very affectionate and may even coax you into a hug or a belly scratch!
- Yorkies are small, but are not great for littler kids. They are often too small to be handled carefully by small children and can sustain injuries easily.
- Expect a grooming budget with this breed. It needs constant grooms and trimming. Most Yorkie owners love to bond with their dog by brushing or arranging their fur.
- Yorkies are very easy to train and are very smart. It can be stubborn during the first days of training, so it’s wise to start early and be very consistent.
- Despite its size, it can bark and growl to alert its owners of any danger. It can be very protective.
- You need to coach this dog to play with other pets and to start really early if you want it to bond with children.
Time to look for Yorkie puppies for sale in person? Here at Petland, we can help you pick out the perfect four-legged family member for you and your family. Just give us a call to make an appointment or stop in today!
Good Afternoon, fellow animal lovers! Today, we want to talk dive a little bit deeper in talking about which small breeds of dogs fit well with families that have small children!
With so many breeds out there to choose from, it can be a hard decision to make. But don’t worry, Petland Lewis Center is experienced with matching the right puppy with the right family! The only hard decision you’ll be making now is which of these pint-sized kid-friendly dog breeds you’ll want to take home.
Whether it’s lounging inside or being active outside, the Pug is a perfect match for families with young children. Even though they are considered a small breed, they are very hearty and can take some rough love! Because of their flat faces, they don’t do well in extreme temperatures, but as good apartment dogs, they won’t go crazy if inside for long periods of time.
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Sweet and loving to a fault, the Cavalier is the quintessential family dog. Even if they are being tugged on or trod on, this breed will always stand by its people! The Cavalier tends to not be a super active dog, so keep that in mind if your children are always on the go. Think more dress up and tea party time! Want to know more? We recently did a blog about the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
The Poodle is an excellent choice for children or family members with allergies. As a hypoallergenic breed, the Poodle has hair as opposed to fur, severely cutting down on its dander and making it nearly non-shedding in comparison to other animals. However, because the hair is constantly growing, you will have to have the dog grooming periodically.
Not many people haven’t heard of this breed! The Beagle has been a popular choice for families for many years because of its ability to be a loyal companion. Technically a small to medium-sized pooch, the Beagle is the largest on our list today. They are an especially great breed for several small children or kids that are very active, as the Beagle loves to run and play!
This playful breed is one of our favorites to match with families! The Boston is loving, easy-to-train and does well with small children and other pets. As another hearty breed, the Boston can take some accidental licks and keep on ticking! They also tend to be quieter than some other small breeds. Same goes for the flat faced Boston as the Pug, limit outdoor time when the weather is too hot or cold, as it can make it harder for the Boston to breathe.
As always, we encourage you to stick to a training protocol and supervise your new pup around the family. Even if they are kid friendly dog breeds, it is also very important that you teach your children to properly handle your new four-legged family member. Our Pet Counselors are always here to help make the transition to pet owner an easy one!
Interested in finding out which kid friendly dog breeds we have in the store right now? Check out our available puppies page and speak to a Pet Counselor today!
Greetings, ladies and gentleman, and welcome to a segment of our breed blogs! Please kindly don your crowns and jewels as we talk about the most aristocratic and richest breed of dog in all the land, the incomparable Maltese! Now, you may think that the Maltese is just a fluffy lap dog, which is actually mostly true, but they also have a long and fabled past. Read along with our blog to find out more about this curious little breed. Petland Lewis Center always has Maltese puppies for sale in Columbus, Ohio, just check out our available puppies page!
The Maltese is how old??
Even though the Maltese is a fairly well-known breed, people are often surprised at how long ago their origins can be traced. As one of the oldest breeds still in existence, The Maltese is said to date back over 2800 years and have graced the laps of Ancient Greeks, Romans and Egyptians. Even their very coats were especially bred and prized by Romans, as the color white was considered sacred. Ancient Egyptians built elaborate tombs for them. And in Greece, they were often painted on ceramics and in murals to depict their popularity. That’s a lot of love!
Royalty comes with its perks!
The Maltese were the favored dogs of queens and royalty alike, such as Marie Antoinette, Mary Queen of Scots, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria. They were often fed out of golden dishes and wore real diamond collars! That popularity among the rich and famous has continued unto modern times as well. The richest (yes, richest) Maltese in history, named “Trouble”, was bequeathed nearly $12 million by her owner, real estate magnate, Leona Helmsley in 2007! I would definitely call that a perk!
“And though they be but little, they are fierce!”
You may think that because of their diminutive size, the Maltese is not athletic, but you would be incorrect! The Maltese is an excellent jumper and has little fear of gravity, making it prone to grabbing things high up and getting on couches and beds. They are also described as being loving and gentle, as well as fearless and loyal to their owners. Although, this makes them a little wary of strangers, so introducing new people can be a slow process.
That coat, tho.
Maltese are technically non-shedding or hypoallergenic, which is sometimes confusing to people. They don’t have fur like other dogs, they have hair, which can still fall out, but is more like humans losing hair throughout the day. Because of that hair, they don’t carry dander like other dogs, which is what people tend to be allergic to when it comes to man’s best friend. However, on the flip side, their hair grows continuously and requires daily brushing to prevent mats and monthly haircuts to keep their hair short.
Well, we hope this breed blog was as interesting to you as is was to us!
Interested in learning more about the Maltese puppies for sale in our store? Check out our available puppies page to see all of our spunky little Maltese puppies for sale!
Boxer Puppies for Sale – This is the breed you and your family have been looking for!
Before you check out our Boxer puppies for sale, take time to learn about the Boxer, one of the most powerful and highly-intelligent dog breeds. Here at Petland Lewis Center, the Boxer is without a doubt one of our most popular breeds for families! They are easy to train, always up for some playtime (or downtime!) and get along well with other pets. What more could you ask for? If you want to check out pictures of our available Boxer puppies for sale in Lewis Center Columbus, Ohio, just check out our available puppies page!
Here are some things that you may have never known about the Boxer :
- A Boxer has a lot of excellent characteristics: it is loyal, strong, intelligent and alert. Boxers are all muscle and can be intimidating to look at, but their goofy personality makes them easy to be comfortable with immediately.
- The Boxer is a dog that loves to take responsibility for their owners. It will make sure that you stay protected along with your family and property. This dog is extremely intelligent and will bark or growl if it senses danger or the presence of an intruder.
- It is also one of the breeds chosen as seeing eye dogs because they are very dedicated, smart and loyal.
- A Boxer is very popular and comes in brindle and fawn colors. The AKC recognizes this breed as one of the most popular in the US!
- You won’t have to spend a lot on grooming when you have a Boxer. In fact, it does not need regular grooming or trimming, but it’s recommended that you brush its coat regularly to make it clean and shiny.
- Boxers are smart, but some can have attention issues. The key is to start early when training your Boxer puppy.
- This dog needs regular exercise, but may not adapt well to extreme cold and hot weather conditions. A Boxer is the best companion for someone who is into fitness and exercises frequently outdoors.
- Anyone who has not trained a dog before can find this breed easy to manage and is perfect for new owners.
After reading all this, are you still interested in bringing a new Boxer puppy home with you and your family? Here at Petland, we specialize in making sure you have all the supplies and training you need with a new four-legged family member!
Have you been searching for Miniature Goldendoodle puppies for sale? Read along with our blog to see if this adorable breed is the right one for you!
It can be a daunting job to narrow down the right breed of puppy for you and your family! There are so many breeds out there to choose from. Here at Petland Lewis Center, we specialize in matching the right puppy to the right family and making sure you have the tools you need to ensure your newest family member stays happy and healthy! We also pride ourselves with having expansive knowledge on dog breeds so we can educate and inform our customers on the perfect pet. So, if you have been searching for miniature Goldendoodle puppies for sale in Lewis Center Columbus, Ohio, then this is your chance to get to know this cute and active breed better before you decide to make a purchase.
Here are some of the defining characteristics of the very popular Miniature Goldendoodle:
- The Miniature Goldendoodle is actually defined as a hybrid breed. It comes from crossing a Golden Retriever and a Miniature Poodle.
- Because of the smaller size of the Poodle, Miniature Goldendoodles typically stay anywhere from 20-35lbs full grown.
- Many people choose the Mini Goldendoodle because it sheds less than the average dog, making it a candidate for people with allergies.
- Because the breed has hair that continues to grow, as opposed to fur, it requires occasional grooming and brushing.
- This breed is very attentive to their owners and will listen to commands readily. It is considered a easy to train breed and good for first time owners
- This dog may be small in size, but it can become a good watchdog. It will bark and growl when there is an intruder. They can be very protective of their owners.
- It can live in an apartment, but you need to take it for a walk every day as they have lots of energy, especially as puppies.
- The Miniature Goldendoodle can also handle weather variances and will do well in hot or in even cold climates.
- This dog is one of the best breeds for families with kids. It is energetic, playful and will be very affectionate. It also goes well with other animals or pets at home.
- This breed comes in a variety of colors and hair coats, depending on the color of its parents.
- The Miniature Goldendoodle is fun-loving and good natured; it remains one of our most popular breeds for good reason!
Now that you delved a little deeper into this sweet breed, do you still think a Miniature Goldendoodle could be right for you? Check out all our precious Miniature Goldendoodle puppies for sale on our available puppies page! We look forward to seeing you in our store soon!